Tuesday 20 February 2018

The Future of Records Management


I was asked today, “What’s the future of Records Management look like?”  While it’s perhaps a little dangerous (or at least arrogant) to claim knowledge of the future, I will take the bait and go for it.  Thanks to Allan from Athabasca County for the suggestion, and a disclaimer – these are my views and not necessarily those of my employer.

To look forward we first need to look backward.  I’ve been in information management for more than 16 years now (holy cow).  So much has changed since then – social media, personal devices, cloud services, blockchain – sometimes it feels like a brave new world.  And yet so much has stayed the same.  The most pressing RM trend in 2001 was big buckets in retention schedules.  The most hotly anticipated technology was artificial intelligence (AI) and records auto-classification.  The biggest issue was how to effectively manage email.  Guess what:  we’re still talking about the same things.


Even so there exists today a kind of technological optimism that, pretty soon now, there will be a breakthrough in AI and then RM will be a matter of letting the technology automate everything.  I’m constantly tempted by that notion, but when I get my head out of the clouds, I know not to expect it anytime soon.  Why is that?  Because while the technology to manage information grows steadily, the complexity of information grows rapidly.  We still have nothing but trouble managing email – and the technology is almost 50 years old!!!


I believe that the issues of tomorrow will be the issues of today, but clothed in different colours and styles.  We will be struggling to separate transitory information from official information; we will be looking for more effective ways to identify official information eligible for disposition; we will be striving to protect information from premature destruction through retention policies and legal holds.  There will be a continuing effort to automate records processes and bring information governance principles to structured data, social media, mobile platforms, and the next trend in information sharing, whatever (as yet unknown) form that takes.  Some of you may disagree with me on this, but I haven’t been convinced otherwise yet because information still holds massive legal and operational risk and value, and because it’s what history tells me.


So:  do not believe that the job of the Records Manager is a short-term prospect.  Records Managers (or information managers, or information governance professionals), with their knowledge and experience of the principles of managing information, are critical to organizations moving forward into the next age.


My two cents.  Please leave comments, especially if you agree and more especially if you disagree.

Wayne Hoff, CRM, IGP
ARMA Calgary ICRM Liaison
icrmrep@armacalgary.org

2 comments:

  1. Great post! And not just because it may have been influenced by me...

    I have always been a sceptic but have never been clearly able to articulate why. My new experiences in process analysis and actually designing information architecture have eroded this somewhat, and then came your post. As you say, we're consistently assured computers are going to replace us all, and if you listen to CBC radio, you'd be excused for thinking it'll be next week.

    After reading your post I actually put some elbow grease into reading about AI and the infrastructure needed to support it. The good news seems that it's expensive, and is going to be for awhile, and that corporations and governments probably have bigger priorities with using computers to make other complex decisions and analyse nebulous situations.

    I guess this makes me a convert, which probably helps my prospects studying for module 6...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the additional thoughts on this, Allan. It's true - in my experience about 2% of what I read about "what's new and hot" actually becomes reality. In addition, there are some big voices (predominantly Elon Musk) who are calling for a clawback on AI initiatives. His reasoning is, in a nutshell, that if computer systems tend to be glitchy (which they are, let's be honest), then do we want computers controlling critical infrastructure?

    In the meantime, we still have to manage records and information... so yes, Allan, start studying!

    ReplyDelete